Hi there. Thank you for visiting my site, and I hope you’ll stay a while. There’s lots here for the writer, musician, writing teacher, homesteader, and those who just share those interests or one of my others.
For example, I have two conditions I blog about – adult ADD and Type 2 Diabetes.
I’m a published writer (poetry, fiction, nonfiction, scholarship) as well as a writing faculty at Indiana University Southeast, where I’ve taught for more than 15 years. I earned my MFA in poetry from Spalding University’s Low-Residency Program. In addition to teaching at Southeast, I give independent workshops and classes.
I also perform (acoustic guitar, dobro, ukulele, vocals, lap steel) with the Americana/Roots trio Molly’s Mutts.
Me and the family are micro-homesteaders, working a tad less than two acres in New Albany, In., across the Ohio River from Louisville, Ky., maintaining a native-plant meadow, organic garden, and egg-laying chickens, and writing about our projects.
Due to these many interests (and my ADD) updates are rather scattershot. But I do update as often as I can. Thank you for visiting.
I list literary and writing events on Facebook: Creative Writing Induicky
- OpEd: Why read Jewish poetry? - Announcing my latest article, published in the Feb. 26 issue of Louisville's Community newspaper, on the necessity and pleasure of reading American Jewish poetry. I want to thank Lee Chottiner, editor, for publishing the piece. I also want to thank Rabbi Jacowitz Chottiner of Temple Shalom and Lee Chottiner, who invited me to give a Zoom talk on Jewish poetry… -
- Introducing my new Youtube playlist - Greetings everyone! I want to introduce you to my new Youtube playlist: "Teaching Podcasts by Michael Jackman, Poet and Teacher." There, you can watch video podcasts I've made about poetry, teaching poetry, and teaching in general. If there's something you'd like me to feature, drop me an e-mail at podcasts /at/ michael-jackman.com In the meantime, enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmUCZrWdLPlKH_ygTJ90z7Z9Pgj0rsFuk -
- I married the dugans - It was one of the great honors of my life to be asked to marry my beloved and awesome sister out-law Maryann Dugan and her equally beloved and awesome life-partner Carly Dugan née Mandeville. So life took an unexpected turn and I became an officiant just to marry the Dugans! “by the authority vested in me as an ordained minister… -
- New Poems: North Meridian R. - Hi. I wanted to share some good news. I have three poems featured in The North Meridian Review: A Journal of Culture and Scholarship, Volume 1, Winter 2020 Special Issue. These are three "letter poems" from my chapbook manuscript-in-progress: Letters from Spickert Knob. My featured poems are at the end. You can read the issue here - Enjoy!: thenorthmeridianreview.org/past-issues -
- On trying to teach students not to use clichés - With experience as a writer comes certainty about clichés (and their exceptions). Don't use 'em exclamation point period. These worn-out formulas add nothing to the writing. Setting aside characters like Hamlet's Polonius who spout clichés as a way of demonstrating that very fact. Yet I have students in upper level creative writing classes who will debate that there's nothing wrong… -
I also have writing and lessons available in the store.